About David Fogel
Dr. David Fogel is an internationally recognized scientist, speaker, and engineer. He holds a Ph.D. in engineering from UCSD (1992) and a B.S. in mathematics (statistics) from UCSB (1985). In 1999, he was elevated to the status of IEEE Fellow, the second-youngest Fellow in the history of the world’s largest organization of professional engineers. In 2004, he received an IEEE Technical Field Award, and he has received numerous other distinctions, including San Diego Distinguished Scientist of the Year from Sigma Xi, the CajAstur Prize for Soft Computing (20,000 euros), and he received an honorary doctorate in 2008 from the University of Pretoria. In 2009, Dr. Fogel was named one of the top-100 most influential alumni in the then 50-year history of the University of California at San Diego. In 2014, Dr. Fogel was recognized as an “AI Hero” by the 150-member artificial intelligence team at Lockheed Martin.
Some of Dr. Fogel’s experience includes:
- Nearly 200 plenary/invited lectures at diverse venues
- 30+ years of pioneering contributions in computational intelligence
- Author of 8 books and over 200 technical publications
- Founding editor-in-chief, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (1996-2002)
- Editor-in-chief, BioSystems (2002-2008)
- Co-founder of multiple AI companies, including Natural Selection, Inc. and Effect Technologies, Inc. (maker of EffectCheck)
- Successful exit of Natural Selection Financial, Inc. (IP acquired by Lincoln Vale), led to managing almost $60M of institutional and other funds.
- Inventor of 10+ patents
- Principal investigator on Natural Selection, Inc.’s development of FDA’s PREDICT food screening system
- Consultant to technology, financial, legal, medical writing, and estate planning firms